Thursday, July 9, 2009

Music Technology, Where is it Going?

I read an article titled The Future of Music Technology: Web-Based Software by Dr. John Kuzmich, Jr. The author feels that most music teachers are not utilizing technology in the classroom. Instead, most music teachers tend to stick to the traditional ways of teaching music. He thinks that most teachers are not switching because of the demands of learning new software. The author says that only nine states fully use the national standards of music while twenty-nine of them only use some of the national standards. The answer to this is web-based software. This software has to be able to be used at home as well so it is used effectively.
Next, the author explains the story of a teacher from New York who posted rhythm and practice exercises online. He used a program called Sibelius Scorch and also created his own webpage for the students. This teacher also went on to do a cross curricular project on the American Revolution and the music of its time period. He created an interactive fife and drum curriculum and this encouraged the students to practice more at home. Lastly, this teacher also created solfege lessons on his site. These are also interactive and give the students good practice that they can do anywhere that has a computer and internet. Students have to sign in on the solfege site this way the teacher can see who is practicing.
The author then goes on to list and explain some good music software programs. The first list shows programs that are over the internet. There is a second list that explains and lists a few CD-Rom workstation software programs. Next, the author explains some things that teachers will need to know first before switching over to these types of technology. He gives examples of some things that can be done with the different websites.
I thought this article was interesting. I am excited to go online to these different sites and try them out. In one of the discussion questions I had written about a program called Smart Music which has a lot of the same ideas as the sites listed, however with Smart Music, you have to pay a thirty dollar fee to use the program for one year. This could deflect parents from getting it for their children. Thirty dollars does not seem like much but to a family who is already struggling, it would be difficult. The programs listed in the article don’t seem to have a fee for the individual student so that is a plus.
I would definitely like to use more technology when teaching band but for me, the problems I face, are that of the building be dated. I have one plug where I teach and I share a computer with others. Therefore, I cannot be using the computer during my teaching because others would not be able to use it. Secondly, I would need more computers to have my students use these sites. My one school does not even have a computer lab at all. I am not sure of how this would work. I am hoping that in the following years when we do get a new building, I will be able to incorporate these technologies listed into my teaching. I think it will make learning more fun and encourage students to practice, especially at home.

2 comments:

  1. I suppose most people interested in a career with music- learn to use these advanced technologies in college. I have a feeling there may be some prerequisites in the world of "digitalized" music in the future. I know there are programs such as music composer and mixing programs that can be implemented in the music classroom. Do you see yourself or fellow band/music teachers teaching students to use digital technologies used in the production of music in addition to teaching instruments? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. To answer your question, yes. We have for years and will continue to. They of course are mostly used for high school students and beyond because there is a lot to understand and they can be challenging to use for the first time. Once the students get the hang of them, they are easy to use to write and produce music.

    ReplyDelete